Friday, January 30, 2009

At last... Some freedom

Good news from my physiotherapist today. I can start to put weight on my left foot!

Now of course this doesn't mean I can go around running marathons or anything, but I can move from one room to the next with only the one crutch or my cane. Which makes me much more mobile. Struggling to keep my balance on one foot and the like while I was on the 'no weight at all' restriction was a real challenge some times. Now I can use the left foot (still in the storm trooper boot of course) to balance myself out, so I can stand for a while and do things. And as long as the single crutch or the cane is taking most of the weight (75%) I can walk a few steps. For long distances I need both crutches.

Of course with this also comes a new set of exercises. I'm starting on the stretching exercises now to keep the scar tissue on my tendon from hardening and restricting my range of motion. There is some discomfort after the exercises which is why I have to stay off my feet for a while after I've done them, but it will, as they say, be worth it. I'm beginning to feel more optimistic about being able to participate in the Ride to Conquer Cancer in June.

It also means I'll be able to get out a bit more, though for the most part I'm still looking at taking cabs most places. Problem is... it's winter. If it was anytime in late spring to early fall, I'd just hobble my way on crutches to the bus stop and off I'd go. But snow, ice and crutches aren't a terrific mix. I'm concerned about making it to the bus stop safely. So until the snow clears, or they allow full weight bearing on the foot I need to pick my rides carefully.

Speaking of which, I really want to thank those of you who have been helping me through this. The rides, the visits etc. have all been just great. I have a new appreciation for the simple joy of just being able to talk with someone over coffee for a while. Thank you so much.

Well, I guess that's it for now. I'm off to Guelph Little Theatre tonight to watch "The Curious Savage." Apparently it's a pretty good show. Nice sound effects.

Until next time... Shalom.

No comments: